The Learning Hook
The Learning Hook podcast with Brenden Carter and Damala Scales Ghosh, April 2018.
- How to avoid writing a "dud" scenario
- The history and purpose of the action mapping model
- The difference between mini and branching scenarios, and what they're good for
- The processes and tools for creating and testing scenarios
Interview with Jo Cook
Multi-part interview for Training Journal, Jan. 2018.
- Action mapping was born of frustration
- The school mindset and its effects
- Why action mapping doesn't work well in academia
- How to improve your business knowledge with Google
- The advantages of spaced learning for both facilitator and learner
- What to do when the client says they don't measure anything
Interview with Connie Malamed
Elearning Coach podcast, Feb. 2018.
- Should instructional designers be responsible for “solving all workplace problems?”
- The advantages of branching scenarios
- The many ways to deliver stand-alone activities rather than courses
- When action mapping isn’t appropriate
TLDCast group discussion
Webinar interview by Brent Schlenker with lots of questions and ideas in the chat, March 2018.
- Origin of action mapping
- My switch from academia to business
- How to use scenarios for small-group discussion in live sessions
- How to market your design services to avoid "Turn this content into a course"
- Cultural barriers to action mapping and similar approaches
Leading Learning interview
Podcast interview with Celisa Steele, March 2018.
- The school mindset limits adoption of action mapping
- Activity-driven materials could be a differentiator in the association market
- How to approach design when you don't have direct access to the learners or you're creating off-the-shelf materials
- Common mistakes in scenario design, including trying to write a generic story that applies to everyone
- Learner personas, like marketing personas, help us understand the learner
- How I learned to design a passive-solar house (hint: it wasn't through a course)
3 ways to motivate
Webinar discussion with a lively chat